Friday, December 18, 2020

Frigid Classrooms, Inaccurate Body Temperature Checks, Sleepless Nights and Sick Kids Coming to School- Comments by the Hoboken Teachers Association on December 8, 2020 for Plea to Go Remote

Hoboken Board of Education Meeting Dec 8, 2020

On December 8, 2020 the Hoboken Board of Education met for their regular monthly meeting. At this meeting, a number of representatives of the Hoboken Teacher's Association spoke during the public portion of the meeting to address the Board and voice their concerns about the current situation of instruction delivery. The following is a transcript of the thoughtful and impassioned address that the leader of the Association gave to the Board. The address is also available online at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsMx8moiPBo

Notes on the transcript: Anything inside parentheses are additions to either convey the flow of the conversation or assist the reader in understanding the subtext. Italics are used to represent communications teachers or staff made to the President of the Association. Bold is used for emphasis and at the discretion of the transcriber. 

Current COVID-19 Activity Level for New Jersey for 12/12/20: CLICK HERE


President of the Hoboken Teachers Association: Good Evening, I am (name withheld) and I am a teacher and the Hoboken Education Association president.  Over the course of the past few months you've heard me speak on behalf of my membership. From the beginning we have advocated for remote learning for the safety of all students and all personnel in the district.  I have used my words to communicate the fears and concerns and feelings of the membership. Tonight, I want you to hear the words of our members in the letters, emails and texts that they have shared with me (in order) to give them a voice other than my (own).

 

(The Hoboken Education President reads the following):   

 

(Communication #1): Let me preface this by saying so much is out of our control.  By the time you read this letter schools may already be on a full remote schedule but with temperatures dropping and infection rates rising and many other districts on remote until mid-January we felt the need to speak up.  We strongly advocate for Hoboken to follow suit and go all remote for the second quarter.  Staff, students, and families would have a bit of certainty in highly uncertain times. We all could plan for our classes, child care, and better negotiate this highly stressful period. The unknowing is weighing heavily on the teachers and students with incredible levels of anxiety. So many of our students are apathetic and lethargic in class. Teachers are covering classes and others are going on and off quarantine and those who have been lucky enough to be healthy are wondering “will I be next”? We are always waiting for the next email or phone call as to what the next day will be like. This has had a huge psychological and physical toll on the staff and it doesn't need to be this way.  Finally students and staff are wearing winter jackets in classrooms. We also have teachers putting hand warmers in their pockets and scarves around their necks. It is now to the point that we question whether our administration even cares about us or our students. Why are they keeping us on in-person classes when so much is telling us not to.  

 

(The Hoboken Education President continues): So I’m reading basically reading snippets of all the communications I have received.

 

(Communication #2): I'm sure you're receiving many emails right now about the issue of how cold it is in the classrooms but I feel teaching like this is not sustainable. I brought in a room thermometer my classroom has been 67 degrees for the past few days. I wore long underwear when I had a shawl over my sweater. I just hope that these issues are taken into consideration as the weather gets colder.  

 

(Communication #3): Hey-- do you know if we are expected to go back now that we are officially in the red zone

 

(The Hoboken Education President continues): 

 

So there was a miscommunication that we were in the red zone That Hudson County was so this kind of was disseminated around.

 

(Communication #4): To be honest I wasn't comfortable coming back into the building in September really and we were in much better shape (then). As a state of things are (now they are) way worse and this is scary.  

 

(Communication #5): Good morning (name withheld). I'm a little concerned about the (body) temperature checking. When I arrived this morning with another (teacher) I tested at 92 degrees. We were told that the thermometer only goes up to 98 degrees. I don't know how that works but we're clearly not getting an accurate reading. Additionally, a student was found to have a fever this morning and was still admitted into the building. She vomited all over the place. Thus proving that sick kids are still coming to school. What kind of checks and balances are in place for these procedures?

 

(Communication #6): I hope you're doing well. After another sleepless night, I feelcompelled to email you. Many staff members were bombarded with emails about roster changes and last-minute schedule changes. I was emailed a brand-new schedule where I am now teaching remotely half the day. On top of that, in order to accommodate all the families that have now chosen to go remote, our class sizes have increased. At this point the faculty of Hoboken Public Schools have given up enough of their time, sanity, and overall well-being for this job. We have earned the right to quarantine before the holidays if we so choose. At the very least, we should be remote during the short week (so that) we have time to get tested and not risk re-exposure between the test and the winter break.

 

(The Hoboken Education President continues in addressing the Board of Education):  

 

And those are just some snippets. And so the I guess you may question why am I reading them? Each time I have come up here (to the podium) I have spoken about what I knew to be the situation and how I felt based on what people were telling meThis is a real situation for these teachers.

 

I think risk might be outweighing the reward.  When the decision was made to return to school full-time and be only one of two school districts (with in person instruction) we pledged our support to do what was best for the children and to work with all of you (Hoboken Board of Education) to make that happen.  We have worked tirelessly to create a safe and welcoming and caring environment for our studentsYou know this (is so) not just because I'm saying so (but) because many parents have reached out to communicate this to you. We have worked hard to make sure the periods of remote (instruction) offered the same rigor and fidelity to the curriculum that our in-person instruction has.  

 

We are now at a crossroads. When the number of positive cases in Hoboken, HudsonCounty (and) in New Jersey continue to soar, we are at a dark orange level or Highaccording to Dr. Anthony Fauci - who I know many of you respect and follow. We haven't even hit the peak of Thanksgiving numbers and it is only going to get worse with the Hanukkah, Christmas, and New Year holidays (approaching).  He (Fauci) said the entire impact of the holiday season won’t be fully felt until mid-January… and I quote (Dr. Fauci) “the middle of January could be a really dark time for us.”

 

It is time for us to make the decision to return to remote learning for a period until we know it is safe for everyone to return.  On behalf of the staff and on behalf of everybody-- I'm not just talking about the teachers… I'm certainly talking about the students. I'm talking aboutall the personnel. I really truly believe that the right decision would be for us to be on remote and well into January until we know that we have gone past the critical point. We love our students. We love being in class with them. I was happy to see them on Monday after remote but it is a difficult situation and there is something to be said about being at home and being safe and there is a very different dynamic when you're dealing with the children and you're interacting with them and they don't have their masks on and you don't have your mask on and you can have this sort of connection remote as it is and not have this fear. 

 

The situation in the classroom is not as you would think it is. Yes, we do the best we can and they (the students) do the best they can but separating the kids constantly and making sure that they are socially distanced and keeping the masks on…it's (just) not regular school. It really isn't and I know that that people think that that it's a better way of teaching but you have to recognize when the teachers are saying things we are not just saying it because we want to be home.  That's not the case. We're saying it because we know what is right for our students. You as parents know what is right for your children but we also know as educators (what is right for our students) and I really wish that you would takewhat I'm saying to heart and really listen.

 

(What I have shared tonight) is just a part of what I hear (regularly and) on a daily basis. So please really think very hard about what is happening with the coronavirus crisis over the next few weeks and really consider what is going to be best for all of us. Thank you





No comments: