Sunday, April 22, 2012
Notice and Agenda for the April 17, 2012 Hoboken Board of Education Meeting
What follows is the Notice and Agenda for the April 17, 2012 meeting of the Hoboken Board of Education.
Some highlights of the meeting included a wonderful awards ceremony in the beginning of the meeting recognizing a number of district faculty and students. The Teacher of the Year from each school and March's Students of the Month were announced. A comprehensive summary of the awards by Hoboken Patch entitled "Students and Teachers Honored at the Board of Education" can be accessed by clicking HERE.
In addition to the awards and honors, the April 17, 2012 meeting also involved a number of other topics including:
1) A fairly long back and forth between 3 fathers representing "Hoboken Dads" and the Board of Education concerning the use of the pool at Hoboken High School.
2) Some discussion about changing back to the Middle School Model rather than the current setup of grades and schools (not quite K-8 since 8th grade is now housed in HHS).
3) Discussion about the number of Special Ed parents lawsuits (evidently high)
4) Public comments by Ms. Patricia Waiters concerning the recent changing of the Board of Education elections from April to November. Ms. Waiters also raised concerns about the number of home schooled students in Hoboken High School.
5) Board Trustee Biancamano once again asked about the fees for the consulting/law firm for negotiation of the teacher's contract. No answer was given.
6) District calendar for 2012-13 still not set
7) Trustee Gold read from a letter stating that there are currently "12 administrators" in the district
A fairly long and rather spirited discussion of this meeting took place online with many issues arising that some followers of this blog may find interesting.
Agenda for Public Meeting April 17 2012
Picture: Lenny DiBrango