Friday, July 8, 2011

"HoLa, the new hot school"- Letter to the Hoboken Reporter

The following is a letter that was recently published in the Hoboken Reporter and is in reference to the HoLa Charter School in Hoboken, New Jersey. HoLa is the first dual language charter school in the State of New Jersey and has recently completed its first full academic year of operation. Best of luck to everyone involved with HoLa as they finalize plans for the 2011-2012 academic year. -Dr. Petrosino


Dear Editor:

Thank you HoLa! As we come to the end of the first year for HoLa, the new dual language charter school in Hoboken, I feel there are some congratulations and thanks to be offered. I am sure that I speak for most, if not all, of the parents whose children attend this school when I say that this experience has been nothing short of amazing. There was much hesitation on the part of many parents when this school was established. There was even worry and doubt on the part of the founders that they would fill their classes. I'm not sure anyone expected what actually happened. HoLa is now the "hot school" to get in to, and for good reason. This school is supremely run, extremely organized, concretely focused, and successful beyond what most people expected. On a personal level, I could not be more satisfied with what my 5 year old has learned and how she has blossomed. She speaks semi-fluent Spanish, comprehends all Spanish words spoken to her, and reads Spanish better than I would have ever expected. She also reads in English, adds and subtracts, and generally blows my mind with what she has learned in kindergarten. So I say thank you and congratulations to all involved in bringing this wonderfully progressive school to Hoboken. Thank you to the founders who worked hard through a ton of red tape and fought against much opposition. Y muchas gracias a Senora Mendez y Senora Nicolosi, las maestras de my hija!

Sincerely,

Dr. John Rotundo

Photo: Opening Ceremonies of the HoLa Charter School, August 2010

No comments: